Maybe you used your coronavirus quarantine as an opportunity to declutter and complete some remodeling projects. Maybe you’ve turned your guest room into a home office. Maybe you’re just sick of looking at the ugly armchair in your living room.
Whatever the reason, this is the time to donate or recycle items in your home you no longer have use for. As our city opens up, thrift and upcycle stores are accepting donations. But how can you safely bring your items to these centers?
Junk360 is here to help!
Donate, Recycle, or Trash?
Most items are clear candidates for donating. Anything that’s still useful and lightly-used will be put to good use at your local thrift store. However, some household objects are tricky to navigate.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Electronics: Because technology changes so rapidly, most cell phones and laptops over two years old are difficult for donation centers to sell. Also, note that electronics often contain dangerous materials that need to be carefully and safely recycled to avoid damaging our environment.
- Construction Materials: Almost 75% of construction materials are wasted, going into a landfill when it can easily be recycled. It’s shocking how much is actually recyclable (or reusable) material.
- Appliances: Any working appliance should be donated to a local thrift store. However, make sure to call or look online first to check if they take that kind of appliance.
Although we all want to cut down on waste, there are some things that are truly just trash. This includes:
- Old mattresses
- Broken glass
- Wet paper
- Broken ceramics
Being diligent about recycling and donating minimizes your carbon footprint. If you are confused about what to donate, recycle, or just trash, contact our professional, eco-friendly team at Junk360!
Safely Disposing of Unwanted Items
Junk360 is here to help you donate, recycle, and trash safely! Not only will Junk360 load up and haul away everything from dirty rags to lawn care equipment, but we’ll also:
- Provide Contactless Pickup: Social distancing? Rather not have us in your home to minimize contact? No problem! Simply place your items in your garage, driveway, or curbside. After we load it up, you pay over the phone!
- Organize It: In order to make sure nothing ends up in a landfill that doesn’t belong there, Junk360 starts by sorting through everything to find what can be donated, what can be reused, and what chemicals and electronics need to be disposed of separately.
- Donate It: Some of the items that you decided to toss may still be useful to someone else. We’ll gather up reusable toys, tools, clothing, footwear, equipment, and other items to donate to a local charity, at no extra cost to you!
- Recycle It: Many items you don’t think of can be recycled are actually recyclable. When Junk360 picks up your waste, we’ll make sure all these materials make it to a recycling center instead of a landfill.